Monday, April 14, 2008

Linear Algebra

So...

On Friday the eleventh I had a linear algebra test at 10am. For those who don't know linear algebra is the math of matrices. A matrix is a 2-d set of numbers that can mean alot depending on how you use it (mostly in computer math operations), really exciting stuff I assure you. But as I sat down at my desk and tried to stay in The Zone I couldn't help but ask myself "Why do professors insist on giving me tests soooo early in the morning?" Well never the less, I did well and scored six points above the average with an 89%. I even beat my friend Dan who got a 100% on the last test. I'm happy and relieved because I was projecting that I would receive a score somewhere in the mid 70's.

I must tell you two things about the test that I thought were perversely hilarious. The first hilarious thing is that I realized about twenty minutes before I went to be on Thursday the tenth that the most minute details given are sometimes the most stressed on a test. So, I went onto the course website and began searching for anything minute. I found several things and one of them was a practice test from years past. I did it and memorized all the methods necessary to do that test, and guess what? It was exactly like that test except he change the numbers! Lucky me, well at least I knew all of the methods necessary, and that is half the battle.



The second perversely hilarious thing that happened to me was an error in the test. After being given the test I immediately began chugging along as fast as I could, and then with ten minutes left the professor said to the class "Attention, it has come to my attention that there is an error in one of the questions," my eyes shot up so fast my head could not keep up as he continued and said "This only affects those with version C," I looked down and to my disbelief I had... version C. Before I could look back up he continued again and said "The eigen value given is supposed to be a 5, not a 6. I am terribly sorry." in disbelief I stared into those old tired eyes and thought "Your terribly sorry!?!!?, what now?," almost as if he had heard my thought he glanced at his watch and said "You have five minutes left... do what you can." "DO WHAT I CAN!?!?!?" I thought to my self in rage "BUT I HAVENT EVEN FINISHED THE LAST QUESTION YET!" After a second or two of deciding what the best course of action was I made the decision to complete the final question and act as if there were no errors, I could argue for points later. So after completing the test with 30 seconds to spare I walked down the the front of the lecture hall to turn in my paper and said "Professor, I didn't have time to do the problem based on the newly given eigen value. What does this mean?" He looked at me for a second, exhaled and said in a very quite and tired voice "I'll figure something out, not to worry." I walked away thinking "You d@#n well better figure something out or I am going to the dean." Turns out he just gave everyone with the error full credit for the problem even if they did it totally and completely incorrectly. While this was upsetting to other students I happily accepted these free points and sat back in my chair the following Monday morning lecture relieved and content.

Sipping my coffee...

No comments:

Search This Blog