Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Moral

Moral is an interesting concept. It is a part of our every day lives, and yet it is only considered when either on the battlefield, or when it becomes a problem. Moral can shift as quickly as the wind. A single word or action can cause moral to grow to large proportions or sink to nill.

In my own situation, I have noticed that moral can either come in waves or completely erratically. Now do not mistake me for someone who is bipolar, my moods are never extreme. However, I have noticed that certain things can have a big impact on me.

For instance, if my apartment is dirty and cluttered I can easily get depressed. If I have the windows closed on a sunny day then moral will suffer. If I have not been tired from physical activity in over a week, then moral will also suffer. Also, I have found that paying attention to the passage of time drops moral straight through the floor. I am reminded of a rainy Saturday afternoon, as a child, looking out the window and hoping for the day to go by quicker.

Conversely, I have found that there are a few things that give the opposite effect on moral. When stuck in a situation where you are removed from friends and family it is important to stay in the loop and to remain informed. If you feel even the least bit involved then you are closer to them, in a small way, then you were before. Physical exercise also allows you to increase moral. It has been shown that after a long work out, endorphins are released in your brain. These endorphins create the natural "runners high" that we hear so much about from those in our groups of friends who run.

I would like everyone to know that I am not depressed. I just thought that it would be interesting to write about moral and how it is related to our actions.

No comments:

Search This Blog