Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Clarkson Housing Sucks

I was trying to get into my school account a few days ago to update my housing information so that I could try to get into a townhouse next semester but I couldn't; because I wasn't put in the houseing lottery. The way the lottery works is that everyone is given a number weighted by the year you are going to graduate. Depending on how close to zero you number is the better houseing you can request and possibly get. However, I wasn't given one and now I am pissed.

So, I called up residence life and asked the lady what was going on. And, she said that since I have been at Clarkson for 8 semesters, I was pushed out by the lottery system by the computer. "Well hold on a minute," I said "I was gone for a semester on an internship and wasn't given a number for my first semester back," to which she replied "Well, you were offically still a student and we have to let the seniors get their pick first," to which I replied "But, I am a senior and my senior roomate who is in the exact same situation as me (Josh) got a number," she was silent for a moment. "What is your roomate's name?" she asked with a skeptical tone "Joshua James Miller," I replied with stunning accuracy. There was about a minute of her searching her records which which ended with her saying "Well you see, he has only been here for 4 semesters, he must be a transfer student," I answered her in confusion "Yes he is, but he is still a senior." "Yes, but since he hasn't been here for 8 semesters our system allows him to get a number," she replied very smartly. By this point I was very angry. How could they deny me on campus housing when they encourage students to take internships? "So you are telling me that I have to live of-campus?" I asked "No, I didn't say that. You can either have some friends pull you up in to their housing, you can live off-campus, or you can wait until after the lottery is over to see what I have available." I knew what "see what I have available" meant. It means that she would stick me in some crappy freshman dorm with somebody to socially awkward to get a roommate, at best she could give me a single in the new dorms which is better than nothing.

"Can I have a few days to sort things out?" I asked, "Sure just get back to me before the lottery." "Alright," I said hanging up the phone. The sad part is that all of my good friends are my year and they will be graduating. Also, of all the underclassmen in my fraternity there are only a few that I would consider rooming with and they largely already have roommate situations set up. So, I guess I will have to move off-campus and find an apartment. It's not what I wanted to or planned to do, but it's a hell of a lot better than the alternative.

Adios muchachos

No comments:

Search This Blog