Thursday, July 30, 2009

Rolling up my sleeves

As you well know by now, I am a poor college student. And, as such I must pay for almost all of my current expenses with loans. As I have previously mentioned, loans are now nearly impossible to obtain without a cosigner or a credit history of any significant length. Without loans, expenses are left unpaid. This includes the apartment I signed a lease for.

In response to this, I talked with my landlord. He was very calm as he said "I can understand where you are coming from. I had another student leave on me during the first part of the summer, and we got the apartment filled. But, you are responsible for finding someone." My heart sank as I heard what I knew he was going to say. He thanked me for coming in and I left.

I drove back to Clarkson's library and sat down. I furiously made 80 copies of a poster I had drawn up that detailed how glorious the apartment was and got to work. For hours I walked around Potsdam. I went to both universities and every high traffic business I could find. Surprisingly only one business denied me the privilege of putting up a notice on their premises.

I then drove home, my feet and legs weary from wandering through the woe begotten streets littered with ragamuffins and aging hippies. I grew more disheartened with every "for rent" sign I passed. As I sat I planned my next move. I was going to reclaim my phone from it's charger and place classified ads in all the local newspapers.

After I arrived home I went out to eat with my girlfriend, as I was looking for any excuse to take a break from worrying. Eventually I returned home and began listening to my voice mail before calling the papers. I relieved an odd voice mail that only said "Matt your off the hook, call me back." Instinctively I called my landlord who told me that in the hour since I put up the posters he had received over a dozen calls. I had successfully gotten rid of my apartment that I could not pay for. Even though I will be getting back 250 dollars, and I will not have to pay the 4000 in rent not including utilities, I was still sad that I would have to commute. I guess there are worse things to endure.

No comments:

Search This Blog