Friday, October 3, 2008

The Cube World is a Small World

When you work in a cubicle, you can hear what is going on all around you. You can hear what two individuals are whispering about others, you can hear the phone calls they make, and sometimes you can even hear the other person on the phone if they are loud enough. But, in my case, I can hear the goings on of the guy right across from me. We will call him Bill.

Bill is a large man, nay, a very large man. He is so large that he waddles. In fact, he has to lift his flabby little arm up sideways in order to bring a cup to his blubbering lips. Bill is also a loud man, who loves to talk on his cell phone. To top it off he has a short temper and will offer little help to anyone unless there is some sort of reward involved. As a result of his proximity and volume, I have gained personal insights into the current state of his relationships and his proprietary life. Let me share a few of the things I have learned.



He is divorced and has a son. His son spends time at Bill's mother's house while he is at work. Bill rents out a house and is having trouble renovating it. Bill is in almost constant contact with his ex-wife, whom he always argues with. Bill hasn't seen his buddies in a while, most likely he moved to where he is now after college and had to leave them behind. Loud, short tempered, and unhelpful; no wonder he's divorced.

All of this information was gained with out my permission. It was forced into my eardrum and into my brain, I don't even want to know about him. I guess this is what happens when you work in a cube next to a loud, fat man. And if you're wondering, The Cube World is at the intersection of Wonderland and The Twilight Zone.

No comments:

Search This Blog